We are travellers/backpackers travelling around the world at the moment. In our time we already stayed in multi-dorm rooms, AirBnBs as well as Resorts/Hotels all over the world. We never spent so much money per night in our whole lifetime for a hotel/resort as we did for Nanuya Island Resort. Therefore we had high expectations. To our dissatisfaction, these expectations were not met at all.
We list the pros & cons in the following section to give an objective overview:
- the beach on the island was really nice. Please note, the beach is not in front of the hotel area but in 5 minutes walking distance.
- provides good snorkelling. We had 2 different snorkelling areas in front or close to the resort. You can see a lot of fish and a few corals as well.
- free equipment & activities provided by the resort (Snorkelling Equipment, Guided Snorkelling tour, etc.).
- good dinner.
- a small part of the stuff is motivated/friendly, laughs and knows your name by heart
- complaints are listened respectfully and addressed. In our case, they paid us the transport back to the main island.
- No Value for Money spent. The price for the resort is too high compared to what you get.
- Rooms are partly shabby (doors etc.)
- slide door in our room was a dangerous construction. It fell out of the mounting several times. Could easily hurt you if your are not cautious enough. When the slide is closed, there are still big gaps where lots of mosquitos & lizards can enter your room.
- Our room should have had a whirlpool (that's what we booked). 3 out of 6 nights, it did not work. We had to complain several times (they had many 'random excuses'), until the whirlpool worked appropriately. Additionally, after using it on the 4th night the water started smelling really bad the next day. They told us, that they don't clean it with chlorine, but rather exchange the whole water with new water.
- deckchair area is dirty and was never cleaned in a whole week
- Breakfast buffet is really small. You will only get a few fruits, toast, cereals, coffee and jam/butter. Everything else costs extra (e.g. eggs benedigt, eggs with bacon etc.).
- Dinner is too expensive regarding the high price you already pay for a room/night.
- Cocktail bar closed at 9 p.m. even though it should be opened until 11 p.m.
- happy hour is not a happy hour at all. Instead of 12 FJD for a big beer, you pay 10 FJD. What kind of happy hour is that?
- most of the staff seems not motivated at all.
- Wifi insanely expensive. 1HR/4.13€, 4HR/14.46€, 24HR/33.06€
Please note: We struggled a lot to choose a hotel for Fiji. We know quite well that there are many different reviews with lots of contradictory content.
However, we want to emphasise once more, we tried to be as objective as possible in our review which is reflecting the experiences we had at Nanuya Island Resort. Therefore, we highly advise anyone NOT to book Nanuya Island Resort. The price for a 3 star resort is insanely high & the service/value you will get is much too low for what you pay.