Stayed two nights recently. This is a very nice small town hotel with above-average amenities. There are reduced rate dinners for guests (30 euros per plate) and access to a well appointed spa (albeit deserted most of the time, but there are towels provided contrary to earlier reviews).
Now, one shouldn’t expect a 100+ year old hotel to be as modern as a recently built hotel in Chicago...er...well maybe Kansas City is a better example. But the recent-ish updates bring each room to a cruise ship type quality, with everything you might need at your fingertips.
I must say that the biggest negative about the room (not counting the television with a smaller screen than my desktop computer) is the transparent bathroom door. I was traveling with my teenage son...who walked from the 3rd floor to the basement to use the restroom rather than go in front of his parent...and to the spa to shower in privacy.
- near many restaurants (they are a bit tourist priced)
- pleasant and helpful staff
- clean rooms
- comfortable bed (I was tempted to buy the pillow I was using!)
- very nice breakfast, with attentive and smiling staff
- near things to do (i.e. boat tours)
- street noise (busy area, not the hotels fault)
- transparent WC door (maybe add an optional curtain?)
- small television
- while a glass of wine is mentioned in adverts for arriving guests, I was not offered one. This is a bit of a big deal as the best hotels I have EVER stayed at often did this and it is very welcoming...when it happens.
- Safe did not work, worse it kept cycling throughout the night making a whining noise while opening and closing for hours. This was reported so hopefully all of the room safes will be checked soon since I’m not the first to comment on this.
A word of advice, while the street and water view is quite nice, the balconies below us ensured we had a steady flow of cigarette and marijuana smoke wafting through our room much of the night. One might take this into account when choosing a room.
Would I stay again, yes at a lower rate. Even though I think the hotel is quite nice, I paid too much considering the cons I experienced. If you are one to not be bothered by the things I mentioned I am CERTAIN you’ll enjoy this local, historic hotel.