I read a lot of other people’s reviews on this and didn’t agree with a lot of the points raised from my 6 nights in the hotel - in fact in one case I think they were talking about a different hotel as the location didn’t seem right. Saying that, there are good an bad points on this hotel. Before I list them however I have one point to note- Koh lipe is not a cheap island so don’t try to compare it to Phuket or Krabi which are generally cheaper in terms of hotels, eating out, bars and shops.
In terms of this hotel- it is not 5 star and is one of the cheaper options if you compare location and swimming pool etc. Now the positives and negatives.
- good beach front location, great for snorkelling at high tide and a nice beach.
- room was ok considering I only paid for the cheapest room- location was ok, it was large and bed was clean
- I had no problem with aircon, mosquitoes or hot water - in fact I didn’t even see a mosquito. I have seen a lot of other reviews raising these points - I didn’t have issues with any of them
- breakfast was ok, in fact better than those I had on Krabi and phi phi which were similarly rated hotels. Don’t expect gourmet food though- it’s a 3 star hotel.
- staff were friendly and helpful but did have limited English
- not enough sun beds or beach umbrellas and they were in a poor state of repair, the cushions were very worn out and not so clean. Easily resolved and not hugely expensive to fix so don’t know why not done.
- the standard rooms are up some steep steps which some may struggle with and some of them don’t have great views. I was lucky, mine had a sea view (worth asking for when you book)
- general state of repair was not bad but could have been better- needed a bit of a freshen up.
- bar and restaurant on beach was a bit pricey and only sold small beers (not the larger ones). I am sure they could have been a lot busier if a bit cheaper as location was great. I ate lunch there every day and food itself was actually quite good all be it a lot more expensive than just up the road.
Overall- I would stay there again. I much preferred sunrise beach to the main beach- nowhere near as many boats and just a lot nicer. Location for walking street was just about right- not to close or to far.